Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Blown Over

Today I toured a wind tunnel! To the great misfortune of the University of Stuttgart, I came with a few unrealistic expectations after having worked at NASA Ames Research Center last summer, and toured their multiple (huge) wind tunnels. Despite that, I enjoyed hearing all those familiar terms again and seeing the tiny models (caution: POINTY)

They also had a type of wind tunnel I'd never heard of. (Probably since the inventor died shortly after the first one was produced, and someone else became more famous). It creates a big vacuum and then pops a membrane to the the air in; It's crazy fast, super loud and moves the entire wind tunnel (conveniently on wheels). I can understand why the police next door might be a bit suspicious whenever it goes off...

No comments:

Post a Comment