Tuesday, January 6, 2015

The Grand Tour Closes

Sketchy apartments aren't always bad. Sure, there may be a leak in the water pipe that could fill a gallon container in an hour. The floor may look like it's never been cleaned, and there might be a very creepy looking entry way with a lock on the door that requires a true lock whisperer plus a lot of luck to get open. However, through the windows that offer no privacy from the building across the narrow alley, I woke up to a beautiful free jazz piano concert courtesy of our neighbors. It was truly a wonderful way to wake up.
That place where the concert was last night, now in daylight
Relaxed, and munching on a tasty Paris breakfast pastry, I made my way to Notre Dame for their international church service. as it was clearly labeled 'international' I was hopeful that it would have at least some English. It did have some. After welcoming us all to the service in about 10 languages, the priest then continued the rest of the service in Latin (with maybe a bit of French thrown in for variety, but their efforts to spice it up where unfortunately lost on me).
You have to be sure to leave a lot of space for God
So, I ended up not really understanding what was going on, again. At least in this service I was easily distracted by the beautiful building and incredible acoustics. There was also the odd pigeon that had gotten confused by all the open space and believed it still was outside. Seriously. That place is HUGE.
Like basically everything in Paris, the windows were pretty too
Full of high spirits (:P) we meandered slowly back through the city, window shopping for souvenirs to remind us of such a wonderful trip. The day, though, was far from over. Possibly the most anticipated part of the visit (for me at least) was yet to come: watching the final stage of the 100th Tour de France.
I'm not the only one who's crazy about the Tour de France
It really couldn't get any better. I'm a liiitle bit of a fan of the Tour de France. It started back when my sister and I used to get up too early in the summer and had nothing to do, so my dad (or grandad, when we were with him) would put on the Tour de France. We would watch as the breakaways as they were ceaselessly hunted own. How the top riders would watch and wait, and then at the last moment break out from the dwindling pack on a steep mountain stage to claim the glory of the yellow jersey.
Breakaway!
The chasers
Everybody else ;)
So er... yea. I enjoy following the Tour de France. Which meant I was NOT going to miss seeing this stage. Even if it meant standing in the sun for hours just to see the group from a position three rows back from the fence. It was so worth it. :D

--There's a video, but it's being problematic--

With the tour over, my own journey through Paris also ended. Which is good- my feet are killing me.

No comments:

Post a Comment