Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Burning Up

Today I got up nice and early to catch a train to Freiburg. Nice and early with plenty (I thought) of time to catch the train. However one subway train + construction at the main station turned my "enough time" to a "laughing-in-your-face-doesn't-life-just-suck?" moment. That's right, just as everyone wars you will happen, when it's time to leave, those darned punctual German trains will leave. Even if you're just about to reach out to the door after running the entire length of the platform at a sprint while the conductor watches you. So uncaring.

So I had a nice time teaching the pigeons some English early in the morning. That's what everyone totally wants to do when they visit Germany, right? (I bet you haven't!)

In any case, I got on the next train nice and early (no chances were taken). I arrived in Freiburg in that awkward time when it's too early for lunch, but not quite the right time to eat breakfast. We solved this problem with ice cream. Ice cream, it turns out has no known "correct eating hour" restrictions, only "correct eating temperature" restrictions. And it was hot.

The problem with hot days are that there aren't many options. (Who am I kidding? For me the distinctly indecisive, that's a total plus). So we gave in to the weather and headed to the Seepark. And went swimming. I was not particularly dressed for swimming. Like at all.
Unfortunately these gutters aren't for wading in
This, I learned, is not really considered a problem in Germany as people will have no issue discarding their clothes to go swimming. As an American, I found I could not quite embrace this particular custom and jumped in fully clothed. (It was that hot).

Sitting by the lake, enjoying the bit of breeze wafting by, I was reminded of why I generally avoid eating out. For people wondering, Flannkuchen is something that is almost, but not quite entirely unlike pizza. For a person like me who avoids cheese and salty things, it was missing perhaps the most important redeeming feature of pizza; tomato sauce.

Since the city resolutely would not relent in burning us to crisps, we gave up and headed a bit outside the city to relax, catch up and play board games. (Should warn you I'm a board game master. Or enthusiast- I'm always game for a game :D) Despite my considerable board game knowledge, we managed to play two games I'd never heard of and one that was the German version of Yahtzee. Since I hadn't had a down weekend to just relax and hang out, I found the relaxed pace very welcome.

To end the relaxed visit, we bookended the trip with... more ice cream. (Seriously, it was so hot out, you wouldn't believe). As I got ready to say goodbye to my friend once more, she let me in on a German saying about how you'll meet everyone in your life twice. I was warned though- simply because we've met twice, wasn't an excuse to not visit anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment