Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Now You're Speaking French

Note-- Regarding the Time Warp here: Internet and photos and videos had a falling out during my time in Germany and then life got real busy, so I wrote down a bunch of posts on paper intending to upload them later. Well, now it's later and the posts are (finally) going up. Enjoy! --

I went to Paris! Despite the credit card company being confused as to whether if Paris was "in Italy, right?" (no lie, direct quote), I made my way unerringly to France.

First Impression: There are a lot of people. Like a lot of people. It shouldn't be possible or something. But nonetheless, I was super excited. I mean it's Paris! Everyone grows up hearing about the magical city of yummy food, light music, full moons and fancy art. And snobbery. Believing you're "all that" is an incredibly important aspect of all Paris veterans.

Approaching that famous place with all the art

So maybe not the snobbery part, but we did immediately get out to the Louvre (how do you pronounce that anyways?) to get our fill of feeling sophisticated & cultured.

This was the only photo I ended up taking 'inside' ... I was a bit distracted. ;)
That place is huge! Like way to huge to ever imagine seeing all of it in a year. And we only had one evening! While I know I missed quite a bit, I was still fairly pleased with what I did manage to see. Besides the ever important Mona Lisa, I spent a large portion of time in the portrait gallery enjoying envisioning all the varied lives of the people painted. I wasn't expecting to recognize any of the works (I'm a bit of an anti art snob) but I stumbled across the painting depicting Hamlet with Yorick's skull. I think it may have been on the cover of the paperback copies of Hamlet we received in High School, since it was instantly recognizable. (And here I thought I'd never be using what I learned in AP English)

Some places are just too pretty. It's inherently unfair to everywhere else.

After wandering amongst the endless rooms of art, I walked back to the only slightly sketchy apartment. My favorite part was the rather unique bathroom window that went through to the kitchen. There wasn't much time to ponder that bit of weirdness though, as we were all beat and planned to wake up nice and early the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment