Saturday, June 1, 2013

Goodbye American Food




I did it. 24 hours of travel later and I'm now in Stuttgart, Germany- a perfectly rainy place (at least for now), and my home for the next 3 months. Emotion of the day? nervous.

At still-too-early-thirty I began this journey in nice, sunny Palo Alto, CA. I then convinced other family members, that what they truly wanted to do in the morning was to drive me to the airport. (Being nice people, they did) The first flight from SFO to Boston, was well.. unevenetful- I mean seriously, the fun hasn't started until someone looks at your passport.

From Boston domestic I take a leisurely stroll to Boston international (thanks to a 6 hour layover, I was in no rush at all). After finding a depressingly small collection of books, I settle down for the wait by the large windows over looking Boston Bay. Not altogether a bad evening. As my final meal before leaving the US, I get soft serve and sweet potato fries - an exemplary example of American diets.
no more sweet potato fries... :(
A very nutritious after dinner snack

By now I'm starting to get a bit tired, but also so hyped up on adrenaline and nervousness that sleep doesn't really come. I read an entire book (wasn't very good by the way) and then manage to finally doze off just in time to miss the breakfast service. (I've got the timing of a champion).
...and wake up where the clouds are far behind me/ and troubles melt like lemon drops ... (if only..)
I'm a little excited to be flying over Europe... it's been a long trip

Arriving in Frankfurt,  it's not quite how I would expect. First off, everyone deplanes far away from the main building - they bus you back and forth. Second, to get to my next flight I get to go through security (again, and this timed pulled out of line because of my very suspicious flute) as well as passport control. Luckily for me, the plane came in a bit early and the other plane left a bit late. Otherwise.... well I'd have probably gotten to ride a train for two hours or something.

Finally arriving in Stuttgart in the early after noon, I'm relieved. I made it (to the airport at least). I didn't lose anything important (ie passport, boarding documents, cellphone, laptop....). I am still upright (somewhat). I am locked out of getting down to baggage..?

Stuttgart Airport: comes in gray, grey, and if you ask nicely, a nice light black
I made it!!
Apparently if you wait to long after your flight arrives, they close the exits... who knew? However, after providing proof that I was indeed just arrived, I was allowed to leave the gates, pick up my luggage and walk tiredly through the green 'nothing to declare' door.

Waiting immediately on the other side was Stephan, who basically knows everything about campus. And speaks English really really well. Which is really really good, because my brain is really really fried.

After dropping (dumping in a ungraceful pile) my stuff off at the small room I will be calling home, we go on a nice tour of a completely closed campus. Apparently it's a widely known fact, that people have better things to do on weekends than hang around campus. Or the ones that do are so ashamed  they go into hiding. (I guess I'll get to find out... woooot)
piles of stuff carefully NOT pictured

The new home sweet home
Despite campus being closed, the city mall is not. Full to the brim of people who definitely know what they're doing (plus me, totally clueless wandering around looking for you know.. edible things.. in a grocery store >< -- I will tell you though that I spotted books. We can tell where my mind's at :D) Why so busy on a Saturday afternoon? Cause everything dies Sunday. Dies little tiny vacation-like deaths and then reopen on Monday. What is there to say? Germans are different.

Stocked with food, I take the bus back ready to deposit my newly gained sustenance, when I find my shelf already fully stocked with food. Unfortunately, not my food. (Such a bummer, right?) Anyways, food in the fridge I turn to the final challenge before I let myself drift off to blissful sleep: UNpacking.

Generally I like unpacking. It's so much nicer than packing cause you don't have to worry about stuff fitting. (At least normally) Being the super genius I am, I managed to not bring hangers. Makes a closet some very small epsilon away from useless. Luckily there's lots of shelves, so it shouldn't be an issue.

bonus points if you noticed that my computer shows me taking a break from writing this post
Room all nicely set up
With my room set up, a vague idea of where to head Monday morning and some food for my grumbling belly, I'm finally here. Settled (to some approximation of settled) down. Ready to face whatever Germany decides to throw my way. Well, that is, with the exception of the lack of TP in the bathroom. Oops.

No comments:

Post a Comment