Thursday, June 20, 2013

Present for Presents and Presentations

The world has it out for me. Normally I don't give in to the depressing, "how can it possibly be worse?" moments. I maybe deviated a bit last night around 3am when I still wasn't asleep due to the never-ending party. (I mean, it's a weekday for goodness' sake. Don't people have class tomorrow?!)

To train me never to think that way again, I was rewarded with oversleeping my alarm, running out with no breakfast to catch an early morning (8 is totally an early morning) bus to the group that's sponsoring us to give a presentation. Oh. Right. I'm still sick. Life's awesome!!! :D :D :D (for the people that don't get it: sarcasm is prevalent here)

Jokes aside though, I am not one for public speaking (even at the best of times). So despite being well prepared on the subject matter (introduce yourself) I was actually quite nervous. Luckily they also were. (Though that might have to do more with the I'm-presenting-in-English-which-isn't-my-native-language type jitters)

After getting introductions out of the way, we got to first hear about, then tour the company. It was really awesome- we got to see their R&D labs as well as one of their smaller production facilities (complete with 3D printer and too-many-axis-to-count mills) There were a lot of industrial robots. :D

Since the visit was 'so hard' and/or the drive was 'so long' we visited a tiny little town to take a break and get ice cream. (Thanks to a misunderstanding between the server and a certain member of our group, we all ended up with ice cream in cups with cones on top. >< oh well)

Munching on ice cream, we got a nice tour of the city marveling at old German 'engineering' solutions (If the wall can't hold back your church from sliding down the hill, use a hemisphere mound instead and then disguise them as (53) stairs... "we totally meant to do that") and calculating the market value of salt, (really high) finishing just in time to miss the rainstorm.

Unfortunately? Fortunately? Either way, the rain followed us back to Stuttgart. At least it'll be colder now. Hopefully my sickness will take the hint and be washed away as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment